By: Brian Evans

After California Governor Gavin Newsom announced the cancellation of the state’s high-speed rail project last week, President Trump said that it was canceling a $1 Billion federal grant designated for the project. Newsom had announced the cancellation of the project in his “State of the State” address on February 12th, citing that it…

“would cost too much and, respectfully, would take too long” to get done!

Interestingly, Newsom indicated to lawmakers that although he did want to cancel the entire project, he would continue to construct one portion of the train in the rural Central Valley, because he wanted to make sure that California could get the $Millions of federal tax dollars that was promised in the project, as a part of Obama’s 2009 stimulus package! He told the legislators that…

I am not interested in sending $3.5 billion in federal funding that was allocated to this project back to Donald Trump.”

However, regardless of what Newsom thought he could steal from the American taxpayers, President Trump put his foot down and demanded that Newsom return the Millions already given to California for the rail project, but Newsom replied…:

This is CA’s money, allocated by Congress for this project. We’re not giving it back.”

Then on Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) sent a letter to the California High-Speed Rail Authority, and informed them that it was terminating its agreement with the state, and therefore would refuse to provide the state with $929 Million, which was specifically allocated for the high-speed rail project, and that project alone! The Federal Railroad Administration cited several reasons for withholding the money including…

  • The likelihood that the high-speed rail would not be completed by 2022, as contemplated by the original agreement.
  • The state’s high-speed rail authority had failed, according to the FRA, to provide “timely and satisfactory financial reports” to the federal government.

In addition, according to the Los Angeles Times, the Department of Transportation said it was…

it was “actively exploring every legal option” to get back an additional $2.5-billion grant that is being used to finance the construction of 119 miles of rail line in the Central Valley.

Governor Newsom has tried to accuse the President of carrying out “political retribution” against him and his State, for the suit they launched against the Administration to try and stop the President from declaring a National Emergency on the Southern border! Newsom reiterated that…

“This is California’s money, and we are going to fight for it.”

However, a great number of American taxpayers are wondering why money that was given to California for them to build a ‘bullet train’ would still be California’s, in that they are no longer building the train, as promised! After all, isn’t it the AMERICAN TAXPAYERS MONEY, NOT CALIFORNIA’s!

Advertisements